Summertime blues are easily erased with a glass filled with love, happiness and citrusy goodness. Ok, that may be a little over the top, but after a day of rolling in the dirt, aka gardening, nothing hits the spot more than an icy cold cocktail that tastes crisp, cool and clean. An example of a cocktail that has those 3 ingredients is the Pimm’s Cup. There’s many variations of this herbaceous summery cocktail but I like the simple version most:
- 1 1/2 ounces Pimm’s No.1 Cup
- 2-3 ounces of lemonade, lemon-lime soda OR ginger ale
- Lemon slices
- Cucumber slices
- Optional garnish ideas: orange slices, borage flowers, mint leaves, apple slices, berries)
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice add a measure of Pimm’s and lemonade. If using soda, add the soda after the Pimm’s has been shaken, otherwise you’ll have a big mess. Shake until cold and then strain into a glass filled with ice (if using soda, add now and then stir) Add lemon and cucumber slices and garnish accordingly.
- Borage is the traditional garnish of the Pimm’s Cup and is used for it’s cucumber flavor.
- Pimm’s Cup is the official drink of Wimbledon.
- Pimm’s No. 1 is made from fruit, spices and is gin-based.
- Pimm’s is low in alcohol.