Who doesn’t like a little nibble during cocktail hour or a small plate of hors d’oeuvres to snack on before a dinner party? Starters that are quick and easy to prepare can set the mood for a party that’s guaranteed to be stress free. With some quality ingredients, beautiful colors and flavors combined with prepping and planning, you can whip up magnificent small plates with ease.
At a recent party I made a batch of baked goat cheese appetizers that were prepped ahead and then popped in the oven right before the guests arrived. This recipe is considered a technique more than an actual recipe and was inspired by the brilliant David Lebovitz.
Baked Goat Cheese Appetizer
- 11 ounce log of goat cheese
- 1/2 cup plain toasted bread crumbs mixed with 1 tsp fresh herbs, (I used basil and thyme), and a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Cut goat cheese into 1/2″ slices and shape into the size of a quarter
- Brush with olive oil
- Dredge goat cheese coins in seasoned bread crumbs and place on a non-stick cookie sheet
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese starts to get soft
Serve on a plate garnished with herbs and/or edible flowers. Serve with your favorite bread, prepared tapenade or basil pesto, and olives. Enjoy!